Society of Physics Students
The Society of Physics Students (SPS) is a professional association explicitly designed for students. Membership, through collegiate chapters, is open to anyone interested in physics. The only requirement for membership is that you be interested in physics. Besides physics majors, our members include majors in chemistry, computer science, engineering, geology, mathematics, medicine, and other fields.
Emory's chapter of SPS welcomes all students with an interest in physics and physical science. SPS holds regularly-scheduled meetings in the department where members can exchange ideas and get to know one anothe as well as faculty and staff. The setting is relaxing and informal. Dr. Justin Burton is The Society of Physics Students advisor and can be reached at (404) 727-4297 or firstname.lastname@example.org
SPS provides an excellent forum for learning about research opportunities in the department as well as broader topics in the field.
2018 - 2019 Officers
|Vice President:||Mia Morrell|
|Internal Affairs Chair:||Rachel Tao|
|Demo Advisor:||Alan Rohrbach|
|Demo Chair:||Ishan Saran|
|Community Outreach Chairs:||Leon Tare & Olivia Boyd|
|Alumni Chair:||Jennifer McGuire|
Benefits of SPS National Membership
- Physics Today (monthly).
- The SPS Observer (quarterly).
- Journal of Undergraduate Research in Physics (online).
- Career Placement Services.
- Eligibility for SPS scholarships, internships, research & travel grants, fellowships and other awards.
- Information and announcements about regional, national and international SPS meetings.
- Information and announcements about SPS research sessions at professional society meetings.
- Free membership with two AIP Member Societies for undergraduates only, for up to three years.
Members of SPS host several Physics Department events such as Physics Night and the Annual Spring Picnic, as well as game nights, trips around the town and study sessions for final exams. All physics majors and minors are encouraged to join SPS.
If you are an Emory Student
- The SPS Faculty Advisor is Dr. Justin Burton. Please contact him for information about joining and the date of the next meeting.
- For up-to-the minute information on SPS meetings and events, please go to the Learnlink Conference ("Society for Physics Students"). This is an open forum for all members.
- If you are interested in membership to the national SPS, visit their web site at http://www.spsnational.org/.