The Emory University Astronomy Club was started during the Fall 2003 semester by students taking Physics 116, "An Introduction to Astronomy." The first meeting was October 22, 2003, and a provisional charter was granted by the University during early spring semester, 2004.
- To stimulate an interest in the science of astronomy at Emory;
- To nurture an ongoing desire by members of the Emory University community to understand the cosmos;
- To provide opportunities for members of the Emory University community to participate in the joy and beauty of astronomy.
To achieve these goals, the Club currently
- Holds regular meetings and discussions regarding all aspects of observational and general astronomy.
- Organizes and conducts occasional outdoor observing sessions.
- Organizes field trips
- Sponsors, coordinates and/or assists with Emory University community events involving the astronomical facilities at Emory University
- We also plan to periodically ask well known figures in the astronomical science profession to speak at special meetings.
- Membership is open to any member of the Emory community including students, faculty and staff. The Club advisor is Dr. Erin Bonning, Director of the Emory Planetarium.
- If you would like information on becoming a member of the Club, please contact Dr. Bonning via e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, or her office phone: (404) 727-4287.